Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gastric Bypass Patients- Do You Experience Gas & Are You Cold? Why?

These are two subjects that I was not prepared for after having my surgery. Another subject that was not covered in my Pre-Op classes. Flatulence and being cold most of the time. Have you ever wondered why? I have, so I decided to do a little research. When I asked in support groups I was told "It is just a part of the surgery." huh?

This is what I found on flatulence:
Gastric bypass surgery may push food through the intestines without digesting it. This is because the surgery removed a portion of intestine. This is a part of the digestive system also. The food then moves on not digested and begins to decompose in the lower intestine. Decomposition causes gas to form. Gas forms and has to go somewhere.
OK, what was so hard about saying that? Part of our intestines are removed, so the food doesn't have anywhere to go to digest causing gas. Easy!
Just remember to take a Beano or GasX and everything should be good from there, especially if you are going to be eating milk products. Another good tip is exercise. Exercise is one of the best ways to reduce the amount of gas after a gastric bypass surgery. The increased exercise pushes the additional gas through the system and out. Also, try a little extra fiber in the diet to keep the intestinal area clean and free of rotting material that can create gaseous expulsions.

Now, why do I feel cold all the time or most of the time? This is a little more complicated. There are two reasons, loss of insulation and less energy generation. The first is pretty self explanatory. We lost weight/fat that was keeping us warm. The second reason for feeling chilled is that the metabolic cell processes are not working as hard as when you were heavier; it takes fewer calories and less energy to maintain and move a smaller body. It is reported that most weight loss patients body temperature regulates after their weight is stabilized, usually eighteen to twenty-four months after surgery.

I am so glad that this cold feeling will go away. Both were such easy explanations, that I felt that I had to share them with everyone else that has been wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment